
Tough choice on posts for this day, as my mini-nature walk down the block
resulted in a couple hundred frames of local birdlife—as well as a broken
bone for me. I love the combination of textures and the near monochrome of
this ice-coated burnt log. It also nicely explains how I got hurt: one foot
was secure but I put the other on a patch of ice while turning to follow a
bird call, and when it slid out from under me I whipped my arms out to
balance…promptly losing my grip on my camera, which went winging road-ward
at about Mach 3 until the moment it hit the end of its lanyard. This is why
I have a lanyard; I’d rather a deep crack in the bone in the heel of my hand
from that pesky “equal and opposite reaction” turning my Canon into a
missile than my camera scattered across half the county! By the time I type
this, my hand has healed entirely (this kind of injury is really common for
me, and slathering it with arnica helped LOTS) and the camera, despite a
total of 4 drops that ended on the ground so far, is still ticking along at
just over 90,000 images.


No comments:
Post a Comment