Monique 260/365


Turns out one of my non-usual-suspect neighbors qualifies for
disabled-hunter tags (which in this part of the world is the only way to
legally hunt without leaving your vehicle) and is a great shot but doesn’t
know how to skin a deer. I got fascinated by the intricacies of this tree
during a break I took from helping him out because I come equipped with a
fairly bloodthirsty temperament about some things and my own hand-made
skinning knife…now he says he’s jealous of my sweetie for getting “the one
with all the luxury sharp-edged attachments—the skinning knife, the firewood
axe, her attitude...” And he is a kind, generous man for giving the hides
from both of his deer this year to my usual-suspect neighbor, and for giving
me the neck off the bigger deer to have for my Christmas roast!

3 comments:

Liz T. said...

I do love that tree against the sky...

Lynn said...

I have never heard of disabled-hunter tags. Aren't you the talented one!

SilentMenagerie said...

Lynn, there are a couple of things about hunting in this state that make me really happy even though if I fired a rifle it'd prolly put me on my butt. One is lower-cost, special-rules disabled licenses (tags, fishing, etc) and another is that much meat is donated to the food bank network by trophy hunters along with all usable meat seized from poachers. They put everything good through a grinder and distribute game-burger by the pound packet at food banks. Antelope (as in pronghorn) runs out first, then moose, then elk. Deerburger is available year-round, a pound a month for a single or 2-person house.

Labels

Followers


  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP