One of the places I intend to be stopping much more often is the pond (and
its secret sibling) behind the sports bar at the north end of town. It’s
pretty far north as town goes, but this is a SMALL town and that just means
it’s an extra minute and a half driving from the coffee hut to get there.
I’ll be begging for stops frequently to ease my rankling soreness about the
butchered cottonwoods next door, that’s for sure! I’m not sure if they
stock the fish or if they’re wildlings that wandered on over, but this one I
thought at first must be injured or ill—it sat in barely enough water to
cover it, and in fact in the next frame was partly above the water before
turning to zip back into the deep, dark weed stems where they all hide out.
I never know what I’ll find (and in some cases catch; last year’s 9-11 post
from me was a frog I yoinked out of this very pond, photographed, and
released), and the larger pond wandering through chained-off private
property behind the place is a haven for water birds and who knows what
else.
No comments:
Post a Comment